Sunday, May 15, 2005

New Hybrid Resources

Recently received an e-mail from Scott Nathanson from the Union of Concerned Scientists in DC. (He's a proud owner of an '05 Prius.) He noted that UCS is pushing for a revision of the fuel economy testing standards, which of course I support. Here's an article they penned on the subject. Anyway, Scott volunteered several consumer websites that consumers can use as resources for hybrid consumers, and people interested in developments in the hybrid and clear car market. I agree...they are excellent resources. Links below:

* HybridCenter.org
* HybridBlog.org

Meanwhile, while driving back from Bloomington, Indiana, the "Maintenance Required" light lit up for the first time on my Honda Civic Hybrid. I must say, nothwithstanding my mileage concerns, I've had no issues with car performance or reliability. I intend to have this checked out ASAP, and I hope (and pray) the good folks at the Honda dealer or Honda Care will use this as an occasion to finally get to the heart of my mileage problem. After all could be their best advertiser.

5 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger David Biddle said...

Hey Pete-

Just to let you know, there's a new reference to you and your wonderful blog at http://getunderground.com an article I wrote on the gas mileage issue called "Fool Efficiency." I hope it doesn't offend you to put you in the heart of the firestorm. Keep up the good work you're doing here. I did not disclose in my article, but I am a Prius owner and average 42 mpg--but we're saving $1500 a year not driving our mini-van anymore...although the main reason we bought our hybrid was to vote with our pocketbooks.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Auto IT said...

I expect you're onto this already, but it's interesting to see Honda announcing revisions to the IMA hybrid powerplant that will go into the next-gen 2006 Civic. The changes will make Honda's hybrids work a lot more like Toyota's Prius.
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Peter. Jesse here again from Hingham MA. My father's infinate ratio 2005 HCH now is approaching 18,000 miles. In the warm summer weather I am easily getting 55mpg and can exceed 60mpg if I really try. Also nearing 190,000 on my 2002 prius and still meeting and beating epa. By the way yesterday I testdrove a highlander hybrid for fun. Good choice if you absolutely NEED an suv.

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter. After reading your posts, I still decided to try the 2005 Civic. I'm not sure if there is a change in technology from the car you have, but after chaging my driving habits, I stay around 48 mpg after ~800 miles. Half of my trip into Indianapolis is country roads, half city streets. I've noticed that trying to keep up with frenzied highway traffic will drive the mpg down, as well as running the AC (Going without that this summer is hard!).

Anyway, thanks for the work you're doing to bring this issue to people's attention. I have to say though, I'm pretty happy with the purchase since the car is (so far) living up to its advertised mileage. And gas prices have risen 25 cents per gallon since the purchase!

-Art in Indiana

 
At 2:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank a lot for this great blog...More information about Hybrid Vehicles . Take a visit atBest Plus Hybrid Car

 

Post a Comment

<< Home